Monday, February 19, 2007

Life is full of challenges.........

Hi Friends......How's life??? All's well at my end.......Have my exams coming up.....first Bcom and then CA.......had a little time on my hands so thought I'll blog in before I get too busy with studies (ahem ahem....I actually got the spelling right!!)

Hmm....so what should I blog about, what should I blog about.......think......think.......think.....and yes.....some more thinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well, with exams coming up, what could be a better topic!!!

Examinations.............according to the traditional explanation, are meant to test our knowledge on topics and subjects that has been imparted over a period of time, usually a year or a term........But today, its more a measure of who has the emptiest brains........I mean whose brains are empty enough to cram and rote learn the subject matter!!!!!! Atleast at school level, I find this trend to be quite overpowering.................Competition is good.....infact I believe in competition....I believe its what inspires one to work harder and perform better but not to the point of making it the basis on which a child's intellect is judged........not to the extent that the focus is on securing a rank and not on gaining the knowledge.........

It may be argued that if a child does get the marks, it means that he has gained the knowledge.....but I beg to differ on that view and I'll shamelessly admit to the fact that I am testimony to the fact that getting a rank doesn't always mean having the knowledge..........I have seen for myself the difference when I study with all my heart and when I study to secure a rank......When I study with all my heart, sincerity and focus undeterred, I find that I can have a sensible discussion on any topic even remotely related to the subject but then, when the focus is on getting a rank, on being the best, that thought clouds my mind.....in a way, it overwhelms and I find myself cramming up my brain (ahem.....incidentally, I'd like to believe its not empty!!!) and then just studying for examination sake. And then, the very next week, its evaporated........where's the knowledge......gone with the answer sheet!

I am not challenging the institution of examination.....just saying that the system should provide for a fruitful, knowledge-building exercise and not merely picking the one with the highest marks!!!!!!! I understand that designing a perfect curriculum is a challenge and preparing question papers and conducting examinations, an even bigger challenge but here, the onus is on the students to ensure they make best use and take maximum advantage of the examination system.....take it upon themselves to learn, to know and not JUST to achieve a rank.....

Talking of challenges, life is full of them isn't it???? Examinations are one of them....but then, isn't every single day, in some way, an examination?????? The uncertainty of each day, the choices we are always faced with, our dealings with different people, the ever-existent dilemma of to-do-or-not-to-do and to-say-or-not-to-say; aren't all of these decisions that can change the course of our life???? So, by that definition, aren't they all challenges???? Its all about facing these challenges, being strong, coming out victorious, eager to face the next one!!!!! After all, if we had everything so easy, then what would be their value??? Just as without darkness, we'd never know the value of light, without sorrow, we'd never know how priceless happiness is, without disease, we'd never know the importance of good health and without effort, we'd never know what our success is worth!!!!!

Here's a poem on that note!!!!

LIFE'S CHALLENGES
Life's all about challenges, some little, some large;
Some a little easy, some a little hard!!
It's all about being smart and playing well your cards;
All about not giving up, all about being a star!
It's surely not impossible, that is known by far;
Just a little patience with a little will-power!
If everything was so simple, without a hint of harm;
What value would it have, wouldn't it lose its charm?!
Nobody would so much as stretch their arm;
They'd just be satisfied with the lines in their palm!
Everything would be a perfect picture of calm;
There'd be no surprises, no shocks and no alarms!
If we never had to work, strive or serve;
What exactly would we deserve?
If we never displayed a little bit of nerve;
How would we ever know, what lies beyond the curve?
Try as we may, we can ever swerve
Away from the challenges that we're destined to endure!
So we might as well, put on a brave face;
Take on the challenges and put them to disgrace!
Life's all about taking the plunge into the tumultous waves;
Ripping them apart with vigour as well as grace!
Let us, then, with open arms, learn to embrace
Life's mighty challenges, wash them away to leave no trace!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, that's it for now..............Till next time, from slo...this is Tally-ho!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: